Automated Data Plotter
This application dynamically generates many types of graphs. These graphs are derived from processing of various data sources done by the IEM. Please feel free to use these generated graphics in whatever way you wish. Reset App. The IEM Explorer application offers a simplified frontend to some of these autoplots.
Second, select specific chart options::
Plot Description:This plot presents trailing day precipitation metrics. Each point on the x-axis represents a period from that date to the right-most date on the plot. There are five options for units to display the chart in, more specifically, the right hand axis on the interactive chart version.
- Departure [inch]: the absolute amount of precip above or below long term average.
- Percent of Average [%]: the departure from average expressed in percent of average.
- Percentile (1=wettest): The percentile rank for this period's total versus all totals from the same period of days over the period of record for the station.
- Rank (1=wettest): The overall rank over the other years for the period of record for the location.
- Standardized Precip Index [sigma]: This expresses the precipitation departure in terms of standard deviations from average. The standard deviations and averages are based on period of record data.
View Data (as csv) Download as Excel
IEM Daily Features using this plot
The IEM Daily Features found on this website often utilize plots found on this application. Here is a listing of features referencing this plot type.
- 06 Jun 2023: Oelwein Precipitation Departures
- 17 Aug 2022: Two Inch Rainfall Impact
- 05 Aug 2021: Sioux City Precipitation
- 02 Jul 2021: Precipitation Metrics
- 18 Jun 2019: Wet Twelve Months
- 15 Sep 2017: Ottumwa Precip Ranks
- 14 Aug 2017: Trailing SPI
- 22 Jan 2016: Wettest Periods
- 16 Oct 2014: To Date Ranks