Automated Data Plotter
This application dynamically generates many types of graphs. These graphs are derived from processing of various data sources done by the IEM. Please feel free to use these generated graphics in whatever way you wish. Reset App. The IEM Explorer application offers a simplified frontend to some of these autoplots.
Second, select specific chart options::
Plot Description:This plot displays a single month's worth of data over all of the years in the period of record. In most cases, you can access the raw data for these plots here. For the variables comparing the daily temperatures against average, the average is taken from the NCEI current 1981-2010 climatology.
This page presents a number of statistical measures. In general, these can be summarized as:
- Average: simple arithmetic mean
- Maximum: the largest single day value
- Standard Deviation: measure indicating the spread within the population of daily values for each grouped period. Lower values indicate less variability within the month or period.
- Average Day to Day: this is computed by sequentially ordering the daily observations with time, computing the absolute value between the current day and previous day and then averaging those values. This is another measure of variability during the month.
You can optionally summarize by decades. For this plot and for example, the decade of the 90s represents the inclusive years 1990 thru 1999. Please use care to specify start and end years that make sense for this presentation. For example, if the year is only 2020, the 2020 decade values would only have one year included!
View Data (as csv) Download as Excel
IEM Daily Features using this plot
The IEM Daily Features found on this website often utilize plots found on this application. Here is a listing of features referencing this plot type.
- 16 Nov 2023: NCA5: Increasing Annual Precipitation
- 04 Sep 2023: Reaching 100 in September
- 01 Aug 2023: Brutal July for Phoenix
- 31 May 2023: Omaha May Min Precipitation
- 01 Nov 2022: Small October Daily Max
- 21 Feb 2022: Bouncing February Highs
- 13 Sep 2021: Summer 2021
- 17 Feb 2020: Can 49 be topped?
- 19 Dec 2019: December 40 Degree Days
- 25 Sep 2019: September Min Low
- 07 Jan 2019: January Days at 50+
- 30 Nov 2018: Cold November Highs
- 01 Aug 2018: Dry July for Des Moines
- 05 Feb 2018: Highly Variable January
- 29 Jan 2018: January 50s
- 27 Sep 2017: September 90+ Days
- 06 Feb 2017: Smallest January Range
- 02 Dec 2016: Warmest Fall
- 26 Oct 2016: Just 56
- 04 Oct 2016: 80+ in October
- 23 Jun 2016: 10th 90 degree day this June
- 03 Jun 2016: 3rd Warmest Spring
- 04 Mar 2016: Winter Frozen Days
- 29 Jan 2016: January Days Above Average
- 29 Jul 2015: July maxes
- 16 Apr 2015: April Lows Below Freezing
- 15 Apr 2015: Another Wet April?
- 31 Mar 2015: Dry March
- 28 Jan 2015: January Maxes
- 22 Jan 2015: 50s in January
- 15 Aug 2014: July Days below 60
- 05 Aug 2014: Warmest July Temps
- 30 May 2013: Wettest Spring